BRIEFING NOTES FOR OOD
1. Handicaps:- All competitors to be advised of their handicaps. New members and visitors are to start on Scratch in their first heat.
2. Sailing Course:- Explain the course and number of laps to be sailed. Eleven heats of which 10 to count for points score. Approximately 10 minute break after 6 heats.
3. Start and stop tape/cd.
4. Starting: - Yachts starting early must return around either end of start line and restart. Competitors not starting or retiring during race must notify OOD. Yachts to keep clear of starting/finishing line unless starting or finishing.
5. Finishing: - First place to call the sail number when crossing the finish line. OOD to adjudicate on close finishes.
6. Adjust handicaps and advise competitors of these changes.
7. Penalties: - If an infringement occurs, a penalty turn must be done as soon as possible (normally within 10 seconds) when clear of other yachts.
If you hit the buoy the penalty will be a 360 degree turn;
A penalty in case of collision will be a two turn penalty (720) . If a right of way boat avoids a collision then the give way boat must do a one turn penalty (360).
All other infringements will incur a 720 degree turn,
(1) failure to give way to the starboard boat,
(2) Hooking up with the starboard boat,
(3) A windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat,
(4) A clear astern boat shall keep clear of a boat clear ahead,
N.b. these are only some of the more common infringements, not a complete list.
Failure to complete penalty turn will incur a DSQ by the OOD for that race.
Remember, a boat shall compete in a sportsmanlike way and by fair play. A boat must retire if it has caused damage or gained a significant advantage by breach of the rules.
(1) a boat shall avoid contact if reasonably possible, and
(2) a right-of-way boat changing course shall give other boats room to keep clear.
For example, when rounding a buoy do not immediately tack so that a boat behind has no time to avoid collision.
7. Control Area: - Behind the path
8. Smoking: - No smoking or alcohol drinks allowed while racing. AND NO BAD LANGUAGE.
9. Mobile phones: - Must be used away from the control area.
10. Rig Adjustments: - Remove yacht to grassy area as launch site to be kept clear for retrieval and launching.
11. Skippers: - Any person sailing yacht other than designated skipper will be classed as a DNS.
12. Any Questions: - ???
13. “All boats in the water” The tape goes on in two minutes. Happy sailing.